is AWStats / Features Overview
AWStats is short for Advanced
Web Statistics. AWStats is powerful
log analyzer which creates advanced web, ftp, mail and streaming
server statistics reports based on the rich data contained in
server logs. Data is graphically presented in easy to read
Designed with flexibility in mind, AWStats can be run through a web
browser CGI (common
gateway interface) or directly from the operating system command line.
Through the use of intermediary data base files, AWStats is able to
quickly process large log files, as often desired.
With support for both standard and custom log format definitions,
AWStats can analyze log files from Apache (NCSA combined/XLF/ELF or
Microsoft's IIS (W3C log format),
WebStar and most web, proxy, wap and streaming media servers as well as
ftp and mail server logs.
See how the most famous open source statistics tools (AWStats, Analog,
Webalizer) stack up feature by feature in this comparison
AWStats is free software distributed under the GNU
General Public License. The license
chart illustrates what you
can and cannot do.
As AWStats works from the command line as well as a CGI, it is
compatible with web hosting providers
which allow CGI and log access.
AWStats' reports include a wide range of information on your
web site usage:
* Number of Visits, and number
of Unique visitors.
* Visit duration and
* Authenticated Users, and
latest authenticated visits.
* Usage by Months, Days of week and Hours of the day (pages, hits, KB).
* Domains/countries (and regions, cities and ISP with Maxmind proprietary geo databases) of
visitor's hosts (pages, hits, KB, 269
* Hosts list, latest visits
and unresolved IP addresses list.
* Most viewed, Entry and Exit pages.
* Most commonly requested File
* Web Compression statistics
(for Apache servers using mod_gzip or
* Visitor's Browsers (pages,
hits, KB for each browser, each
version, 123 browsers detected: Web, Wap,
Streaming Media browsers..., around 482 with the "phone browsers" database).
* Visitor's Operating Systems
(pages, hits, KB for each OS, 45
* Robots visits, including
search engine crawlers (381 robots detected).
* Search engines, Keywords and Phrases used to
find your site (The 122 most famous search
engines are detected like Yahoo, Google, Altavista, etc...)
* HTTP Errors (Page Not Found
with latest referrer, ...).
* User defined reports based
on url, url parameters,
referrer (referer) fields extend AWStats' capabilities to provide even
greater technical and marketing information.
* Number of times your site is added to Bookmarks / Favorites.
* Screen size (to capture
this, some HTML tags must be added to
a site's home page).
* Ratio of integrated Browser Support
for: Java, Flash, Real G2 player,
Quicktime reader, PDF reader, WMA reader (as above, requires insertion
of HTML tags in site's home page).
* Cluster distribution for
load balanced servers.
In addition, AWStats provides the following:
* Wide range of log formats. AWStats can analyze: Apache NCSA
(XLF/ELF) or common (CLF) log
files, Microsoft IIS log files (W3C), WebStar
native log files and other web, proxy, wap, streaming media, ftp and
mail server log files. See AWStats
F.A.Q. for examples.
* Reports can be run from the operating system command line and from a
web browser as a
CGI (common gateway interface). In CGI mode, dynamic filter
capabilities are available for many charts.
* Statistics update can be run from a web browser as well as
scheduled for automatic processing.
* Unlimited log file size
* Load balancing system split log files.
* Support 'nearly sorted' log files, even for entry and exit pages.
* Reverse DNS lookup before or during analysis; supports DNS cache
* Country detection from IP location (geoip) or domain name.
* Plugins for US/Canadian Regions, Cities and major countries regions, ISP and/or Organizations reports
(require non free third product geoipregion, geoipcity, geoipisp and/or geoiporg database).
* WhoIS lookup links.
* Vast array of configurable options/filters and plugins supported.
* Modular design supports inclusion of addition features via plugins.
* Multi-named web sites supported (virtual servers, great for
* Cross Site
Scripting Attacks protection.
* Reports available in many international languages. See AWStats F.A.Q. for full list.
Users can provide files for additional languages not yet available.
* No need for esoteric perl libraries. AWStats works with all basic
* Dynamic reports through a CGI interface.
* Static reports in one or framed HTML or XHTML pages; experimental PDF
export through 3rd party "htmldoc" software.
* Customize look and color scheme to match your site design; with or
without CSS (cascading style sheets).
* Help and HTML tooltips available in reports.
* Easy to use - all configuration directives are confined to one file
for each site.
* Analysis database can be stored in XML format for easier use by external
applications, like XSLT processing (one xslt transform example provided).
* A Webmin module is supplied.
* Absolutely free (even for web hosting providers); source code is
included (GNU General Public License).
* Works on all platforms with Perl support.
* AWStats has a XML
Portable Application Description.
AWStats usage has the following requirements:
* You must have access to the server logs for the reporting you want to
* You must be able to run perl scripts (.pl files) from command line
and/or as a CGI. If not, you can solve this by downloading latest
Perl version at ActivePerl
(Win32) or Perl.com
See AWStats F.A.Q. for
examples of supported OS and Web servers.